"Sun is alone too, but it still shines."
Alone time is essential to one's health. When we spend time alone, a few things happen, we become grounded, creative and confident with the person we are.
We often have mistaken loneliness and solitude as the same thing, but they are very different. Loneliness is when you feel a disconnect from people, which can occur even when you are in a crowd.
Solitude is purposeful and powerful; you are choosing to be alone. Here are my top five things to do when deciding to empower yourself and spend time by yourself.
1. Self-reflection - Ask yourself some deep thinking questions such as what is the purpose of my life? What do I want and need to make my life fulfilling? What are some things I am grateful for that I have received? Asking ourselves deep questions taps into our subconscious mind and brings thoughts to the forefront.
2. Use a work-out app - If you are a fitness guru, this may not be for you but if you are looking for a way to get your body into shape, try an app. No one has to be in the room with you, so if you feel a little anxious, you have nothing to worry about, just do your push-up with ease.
3. Clean up - If you have a couple of hours to yourself, maybe the basement needs to be reorganized and cleaned up a bit. Cleaning is a great way to bring clarity to your mind. Some studies show that people with a lot of clutter or unfinished projects tend to suffer from depression. If you have some time alone, start cleaning.
4. Read - Take some time to educate yourself on a topic you are interested in exploring or refresh your mind on things you already know. I prefer to read something that will bring meaning to my life, so I don't read fiction as much, but I enjoy reading books about personal growth, documentaries or interesting facts about nature. Find things you want, and read about it. Expand your mind.
5. Go for a walk outdoor - "The walker sees life going on" I love that quote. There are too many good reasons to go for a walk to list them all in this blog. There are psychological benefits, but let's talk about the physical benefits first. We tone our muscles, we absorb some vitamin D, and our cognitive performance improves. The psychological benefits are your self-esteem and mood improves because you physically feel better.
There are many things that can be done in moments of solitude. If you want to discuss this further, reach out to me, I would love to hear from you. In the meantime, enjoy You as your company.