1. 2020 is a leap year, a 366 day-long year. Every four years, we add an extra day, February 29, to our calendars. These additional days called leap days it helps synchronize our human-created calendars with Earth’s orbit around the sun. What are you doing with your extra day?
2. January 2020, was the warmest January on record. More people had the opportunity to enjoy the weather and do some outdoor activities.
3. COVID-19 (Coronavirus) came in like a storm. The new strain of this disease was not previously detected in humans. With this came restrictions and a pandemic. We are forced to stay home and practice physical distancing. This caused families to spend more time together and reconnect in a world that was moving too fast.
4. The survival rate from Covid-19 is high. When I wrote this blog, we have a survival rate of 87%.
5. The Canadian government took steps to ensure Canadians were taken care of; they offered the following, $305 million for a new distinctions-based Indigenous Community support fund to address the immediate needs of First Nations, Inuit, and Métis communities. An additional $50 million will be available to women’s shelters and sexual assault centres to help with their ability to manage and prevent outbreaks in their facilities. This funding will also cover such facilities in Indigenous communities. Businesses will also be allowed access to more credit through the new Business Credit Availability Program, which is expected to provide more than $10 billion of additional support to limited, medium, and large Canadian businesses. More credit will also be available to farmers and the agri-food sector through Farm Credit Canada. Canada will be allocating up to $82 billion, more than three percent of its GDP, to help ensure Canadians can pay rent and buy groceries, and that businesses can continue to pay their employees and their bills.
6. The first virtual fashion show by Congolese designer Anifa Mvuemba created a social media firestorm when she gave the world a preview at her latest collection from her fashion brand. It was exciting to see. If you want to check this out follow @hanifaofficial
7. Significant changes to the Divorce Act is effective in July 2020. This will be an attempt to make the family justice system more accessible and affordable for everyone. There will be an update to the criteria that determine a child’s best interested as well as measures to address family violence
For many people 2020 has not been that great. Creating this shortlist made me feel a little better. If you are feeling 2020 is a write-off, try creating your list of things that brought you joy. What made your heart smile? Is there a way you can take this energy with you and give it to someone else?
Be Present, Be Mindful, Be You